Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Travel Diary - Day Two

Day Two

What a day! Decided to walk to town, had walked around 2km in the rain before I realised I was going the wrong way. Walked most of that back, following an abortive attempt to hire a cab – the driver couldn’t speak English and couldn’t explain why he wouldn’t take me where I wanted to go. It did highlight something I have noticed though. I explain to people that I don’t understand Spanish and then spend the next couple of minutes listening to a stream of Spanish explaining everything I wanted to know, at least I think that’s what they’re saying, they could just be abusing me, but I guess, what I don’t know mostly won’t hurt me J

I finally came across a railway station and after some help from a student who spoke as much English as I speak Spanish managed to find my way into one of the major shopping plazas. I had a lovely time finding my way around, had a great meal for about $6.80 (half of that was for the 500ml bottle of water – I think I’ll take my own from now on). Bought some clothes for the Tango lesson, dinner and show that I’m going to tomorrow. Got back mid-afternoon and chilled out for a couple of hours. Then I headed back to the railway station to find my long-promised steak dinner. On the way I thought I would try and ring Ruth and the kids. Duh! Had my times completely wrong and couldn’t understand why no-one would answer the phone. Found an amazing steak dinner – a huge piece of meat with a mustard sauce that was quite exceptional. It came with potatoes in creamed spinach which were rather delightful all on their own. And all this for less than $NZ20. I love this place!!

Having said that, I have to admit that if I was staying for much longer I would be heading to a language school – it is so frustrating not understanding what people are saying. I am picking things up as I go, but there are an awful lot of words that zoom past without a hint of me understanding what is being said.

After dinner I continued to wander and came across a market that went for well over a kilometre and I didn’t even walk the full length. It was amazing what was laid out for display, although it was also amazing just how many stalls had the exact same stuff on them. I picked up a couple of knick-knacks but mostly it was just fascinating wandering along, looking at the wares and watching the people in the act of selling them. I must have a dose of my father in me…

Found my way back to the train station – the place is all well marked and as I have gradually got my bearings I can see that it is pretty easy to get around, although the bus system is quite out of my ken at this point of things. It probably will still be out there when I leave – the trains are good for what I want and the station is only 150m down the road from where I am staying.

My biggest disappointment, though not surprise, is that while the leather goods here, especially the leather jackets are much cheaper than in NZ they are still well out of my price range. Oh well. I wasn’t really expecting much else.

So a big day tomorrow – I have an all day tour followed by Tango lesson, posh dinner and Tango show. Should be good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment