Sunday, September 6, 2009

Travel Diary - Day Six

Days Six – I Think

How time flies when you’re having fun!!

The flight to Panama went well – managed to knock back a few zzzz’s as we flew along. I had a window seat by an exit so I had plenty of room to stretch my legs. The only problem was that the plane was cold – not just cool, it was downright chilly, and the wall that I was up against was a couple more notches of cold. When we boarded the plane there were not enough blankets to go around. The ladies sitting next to me asked the purser if they could have a blanket each and he got them one each, but when I asked he turned me down. So when he wasn’t looking I leant over the seat in front and grabbed one. I’m pleased I did or it would have been an uncomfortable flight. I have to admit that I cheated a little and took a sleeping pill to help me along – I couldn’t afford to not get at least some sleep. Between that and general exhaustion I think I managed about 5 hours sleep in the 8 hour journey to Panama.

That left a four hour wait in the airport at Panama before boarding the next flight. Fortunately my bag had been checked through to Trinidad so I didn’t have to make my way through immigration. I think the airport was quite comfortable – I seem to remember a nice little café and comfortable seats but to be honest everything is really quite blurry. I do remember that having been told that both flights had been fully booked it was interesting to note quite a lot of empty seats on both Copa Air flights. Hmmm…

The second flight was uneventful, I dropped in and out of a doze for most of it. We were fed what turned out to be a tasty croissant with turkey and other stuff in it. And then we landed in Trinidad and Tobago. I’m still trying to come to grips with my impressions of Trinidad airport (Port of Spain). On the whole the people were friendly but there was a sense of edginess, of not being entirely happy with something unnamed. It was kind of weird. Whenever I asked a question they were polite and answered clearly, but…and I’m not sure what to put next. Anyway, I managed to finally send my last update (the one I said I would send in Buenos Aires) while sitting in an airport café in Trinidad so that was good. And the terrible transit visa turned out to be completely unnecessary. I was waved through to get my bag, which wasn’t checked in any way, and then had to go out the door, down to the check-in counter and check it in for the next flight. And absolutely nothing stopping me from waltzing out the door and disappearing into the night.

I had no problems checking into Caribbean Airlines, and after wandering around the airport for a little while – nothing to see really – went through bag check and sat down. Only to realise I was really thirsty and a little hungry and there was absolutely nothing to eat. I had to go back through bag check to find a café. This I did without any problem and found the café where I sent my message and had a great vanilla bean smoothie that made me feel ill for ages – only because smoothies do that to me and I should know better. Then close down the laptop because the battery is getting short and I don’t have the right adapter with me to charge it, back through bag check and hang around for the next 90 minutes waiting for check-in.

At check-in we had the benefit of watching one group go through for another flight before ours. I say benefit because it allowed me to observe the fact that one person was conducting a baggage check on people as they went through the gate. While that person was occupied others could go through without being checked. By timing my run at the ticket counter I was able to avoid the bag check and go straight through to the plane – of a variety I have never flown in before – twin engine jet (I think) with two seats on each side of the aisle. Good leg room. And off to Guyana – At LASSTT!!

We arrived at Guyana which does have, I have to say a rather lovely entry to the airport, beautifully planted and with a small waterfall. Top score on first impressions. Having filled out the obligatory, ‘No I don’t have flu-like symptoms, no I am not attempting to import guns or diseased food or whatever,’ I suddenly realised that I didn’t have the address of the place we are staying out ready to hand – a must for getting into the country. Sitting down with my trusty laptop and praying that I would have enough battery I got as far as beginning to open my email when it ran out and shut down. And I still didn’t have the correct plug for the power sockets. So I asked a passing official if he could help. With a smile he asked me details of the problem, who was meeting me and wandered off for about 5 minutes. When he came back he was carrying a laptop power supply that fitted my laptop perfectly. We plugged in, fired up and had the details in just a minute or so. When I told him he was a miracle worker he just smiled and said that he liked to try and make sure that visitors to Guyana (pronounce gee-ahna here) feel welcome and enjoy their stay. Amazing huh!

I went up to the immigration counter – a ten minute wait with people ahead of me – had that done most pleasantly, although there was a moment of, ‘Now what?’ when the officer took my passport for a wander before returning, handing me my passport and wishing me a happy stay. While I was waiting there one of the other Face to Face participants who had arrived on a flight immediatey before mine came up, identified who I was and grabbed my arrival information so she could copy the address of where we were staying – I wasn’t the only one who didn’t have everything completely under control (wipes brow in relief). I collected my bag, whizzed through the bag check – they didn’t at all – and went out to find our ride patiently waiting for us. A thirty minute ride brought us to the Regency Suites/Hotel, a room with airconditioning, and best of all, a bed! 0015 and I was all curled up and gone to the rest of the world.

So that was only 13 hours in the air, 8 hours on the ground – not bad, until you take into account that between my mistake two days ago, the airline’s mistake yesterday, and all this, I have been on the go with no real break for three days. Enough already!!! J !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment