Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Travel Diary - Day Thirty One

Day Thirty One – Slowly does it
Tuesday 29 Sep 09

Yay! Another sugar mill! This time it was LBI Estate, a slightly more modern version of the last mill we visited. It was a good enough visit – this time everything was explained to us before we went through so it made a lot more sense. That was good. Afterwards the manager who had shown us around treated us to a drink at the mill club.

We got to and from the estate with Kester, another of Harry’s sons. He has his own IT business and once we had an opportunity to talk we got along really well. I think he was surprised that I could talk intelligently about what he was into, and even more surprised when I said I could get him a copy of the Windows 7 prerelease to try out. They clearly don’t get anywhere as much IT info and support here as we are used to in NZ.

The afternoon passed slowly enough before we had to wander down to the church for a men’s meeting. I left 30min early to go and have a quick email check beforehand and then got to the church about 5 minutes late to find no-one there. I hung around for about 10 minutes before beginning to wander back. On the way I came across Harry heading towards the church. So I turned around and we made our way back to the church where we sat on the steps, enjoyed the breeze and waited for no-one to turn up. After about an hour we closed up and headed off, taking the long way round to help me see another part of the village. Fortunately we didn’t meet every second person for a conversation so it didn’t take anywhere near as long as I was worried it might.

When we got back Kester was there with his wife and we sat and talked a while before they headed home. Dinner was good – Patsy has been plying me with all kinds of food and presentations. I suspect she is enjoying having the opportunity to extend her cooking while I am here. It has been very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment