Saturday, July 18, 2009

Why 'A Live Coal'?

I took the name for my blog from Isaiah 6:6. Isaiah saw God and he suddenly comprehended how sinful, how small and insignificant, how impotent he was before God. The angel took a live coal from the altar and touched Isaiah's lips. It was as if God said to Isaiah, 'It's OK, I know you, I know your fears, I know your failings, I know your frailty, and it's all right. I want to use you to further my will on earth anyway.'

I know that I feel a close kinship with Isaiah when he said, 'Woe is me, I am a man of unclean lips and I come from a people of unclean lips.' That's me over and over again. And then God comes and touches my lips with a live coal and says to me, 'It's OK, I know you, I know your fears, I know your failings, I know your frailty, and it's all right. I want to use you to further my will on earth anyway.'

And I stand amazed that this awesome God would take any interest in me, honoured by his trust, compelled to serve with all my might.

No comments:

Post a Comment